Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Grandpa-Sitting Weekend

This past weekend my parents went up North and dropped off my Grandpa at our house on the way.  As a 91 year old, it is difficult for him to be home alone.  So...we were "Grandpa-Sitting" for the weekend!  We had a good time.  There is a lot more 'prep' time required when you have a 1 year old and a 91 year old with you, but we worked it out.  

Since our basement was water-logged [I'll post more about that later], we went to Amy's apartment to watch the Twins on Friday night.  Unfortunately, we left (with a very tired 91 yr old and 1 yr old) after the ninth inning and didn't see them win in extra innings.  Oh well.

On Saturday we had a great time!  We brought my Grandpa to South Minneapolis to tour the neighborhood he grew up in and then we took him on the Light Rail for the first time!  He was so curious about the whole thing.  I think he really enjoyed it.  It was Tryg's first time too.  Tryg loves trains but it is much more difficult to get the concept of being ON a 'train' instead of seeing it from the outside.  After our 'train ride' we picked up my Great Aunt (my Grandpa's sister) Dee for lunch!  She's great!  She will be 90 this year, but you'd guess she's in her 70s the way she jokes around and moves on her feet.  It was nice to be able to have my Grandpa and his sister together.  They don't see each other as much as they used to.  I'm glad we could make that happen.
Sunday morning we went to church.  The church we've been going to had an outdoor service with a baptism and BBQ.  It was actually a very nice day for it and we enjoyed the service.  After church was mandatory nap time for everyone in the house!  It was perfect!  Then we had dinner at Old Spaghetti Factory with my parents for my Dad's Birthday on there way back home.  
We had a very nice weekend and I am very glad we were able to spend time with my Grandpa!  We try to see him at least once a month but that doesn't always happen.  I love his sweet spirit and hope I can be like him (or Aunt Dee) when I'm old and gray.

Happry Birthday Dad!!

No comments: